Contra la pared - Espacio Monitor- Caracas 2017
Talk to me, 2016, is my latest installation, part of the exhibition Contralapared -against the wall- organized by Espacio Monitor in Caracas Venezuela, where I share space with artists Sigfredo Chacon, Hector Fuenmayor, Jaime Gilli, Jose Gabriel Fernandez, Carlos Cruz Diez, Arturo Herrera and Lucia Pizzani.
Talk to me is the metaphor of several contradictions that I live in my country.
Formally, I describe it as a 14 meter long by 4 meters high curtain. Woven or thermoformed with more than 4000 Chinese plastic bags - the ones used at street markets to buy food. The curtain has patches all over its surface, these patches are embroidered with red wool and have the shape of an open mouth, they also look like anus and vaginas. Or bullet holes from guns or Kalachnikovs, Caracas is one of the most dangerous capitals in the world.
Here are some keys for linking this work to the situation in my country:
1. In Venezuela there is no food, these bags are "the representation" of the daily market that we take home to eat.
2. The bags are closed and glued together, they can not be used for their first function, which is to take food home.
3. The bags are made of polyethylene-derived from petroleum- Venezuela is a country that produces oil and so much wealth does not serve to guarantee the food of its citizens.
4. Polyethylene bags - derived from petroleum - are made in China, We don't produce anything, we import everything.
5. Venezuela owes China + 22 billion dollars. We have sold our future to the Chinese.
6. The holes along the entire curtain are the open mouths that scream of hunger but are transformed into anus and vaginas, is a great curtain full of many glory hole for the generalized prostitution that we are living in Venezuela.
7. The hollows stitched in red wool allude to the silenced protests to the sewn mouths of the students and political prisoners of Venezuela and to the bullet shots, to the real wounds of the violence in my city.
8. The geometric tradition of Venezuelan art is present with colored bars, but this time they are neither flat nor perfect, it seems a deteriorated work of any of the kinetic masters of Venezuelan art Jesus Soto, Carlos CruzDiez, Alejandro Otero. The project of modern Venezuela in "terminal phase"
9. The work is both geometric and organic - in its movement and fall -
10. The curtain has an organic appearance but is plastic.
A plastic striped bag is for any Venezuelan the closest thing to a Law Project: This bland object influences an entire country.
When you visit a street market, the first thing you are given is a plastic striped bag ... and you feel the emotion in your hands. You have to fill the bag with food.
A plastic striped bag is the image of the future.
4000 plastic bags sealed, sealed, burned and unusable are the representation of a collective frustration.
Háblame, 2016, la obra que presento a continuación, forma parte de la exposición Contralapared organizada por Espacio Monitor en Caracas Venezuela, donde comparto espacio con los artistas Sigfredo Chacon, Hector Fuenmayor, Jaime Gilli, Jose Gabriel Fernandez, Carlos Cruz Diez, Arturo Herrera y Lucia Pizzani.
Háblame es la metáfora de varias contradicciones que vivo en mi país.
Formalmente, la describo como una cortina de 14 metros de largo por 4 metros de altura, tejida -termoformada- con más de 4000 bolsas chinas de plástico -de las que se utilizan para hacer las compras de comida en los mercadillos de calle y mercados populares en toda Venezuela. Estas bolsas plásticas siempre son de rayas verticales de 3 cm de ancho, de 2 colores intercalados, las más comunes rayas azules y blancas. La cortina tiene remiendos a lo largo y ancho de toda su superficie, estos remiendos están bordados con lana roja y tienen la forma de una abertura que recuerda una boca abierta, aunque a veces, también parecen anos y vaginas. O los huecos de los tiros de bala de las armas de fuego, Caracas es hoy en día una de las capitales mas peligrosas del mundo.
10. La cortina tiene apariencia orgánica pero es plástica.